LGTI offer a wide range of courses for our Local Government clients.
These include courses specifically developed for local government such as:
- Interpreting Shadow Diagrams (1 day)
- Code of Conduct for Local Government
- Advance Investigations program
- Rangers 1, 2, 3
- Developing The Town Planner’s Assistant (3 days)
- The A to Z of DAs; DCPs and LEPs (1 day)
- Rates Training modular workshops (in conjunction with the NSW Revenue Professionals)
Our range of accredited programs includes Certificates III, IV and
Diplomas in Local Government, including qualifications in:
- Regulatory Services
- Operational Works
- Environmental Health
- Building Surveying
In addition to these types of courses, which were developed to ddress skills shortages in councils, we provide customised induction programs which an be mapped to competencies from the Local Government Training Packager tailored to address WorkCover requirements.
Hunter Councils Inc. is an Incorporated Association owned and managed by eleven member councils in the Hunter region that actively seek opportunities for cooperation and resource sharing.
Hunter Councils Inc became a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in 2001. Hunter Councils Inc is approved by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) to deliver nationally accredited training.
The training division of Hunter Councils trades as the “Local Government Training Institute (LGTI)”. The core business of this division is to research, develop, deliver and coordinate training for council employees, which is cost-effective, meets the client needs and accessible to council staff.
LGTI training courses are developed, supported and administered by a dedicated team of administration and training staff, including the Training Operations Manager, Training Support Officers and Trainers. Client relationships and services are supported by the Director, Training Strategy Manager, and Business Development Staff.
Systems have been developed and refined over time to record and report on training results, act on client feedback and improve responsiveness to clients.
Quality Trainers and Assessors
LGTI trainers and assessors have extensive local government and expertise in their field.
They understand the framework within which councils must operate.
They understand the cultures of the different sectors of councils.
We deliver training to staff that relates to the jobs they do, and addresses problems they face.
LGTI employs 15 permanent staff (including several staff trainers plus a number of wellqualified contract trainers and assessors. Trainers and assessors can cater for any skill requirements required for Council.
Scope of LGTI Services
The scope and services provided by LGTI have continued to expand since accredited training was first delivered in 2001. LGTI has developed or organised hundreds of training courses for staff across a wide range of job functions, particularly in Local Government.
Programs have been adapted to suit the needs of all staff, including perational staff, administration and management. LGTI has built a strong and positive reputation in providing training to councils and other industries throughout Australia.
LGTI is abreast of emerging issues in local government. LGTI have assisted with Training Needs Analysis and addressed gaps in learning with training and assessment initiatives. Some examples have included training to address new legislation e.g. Privacy and Protection of Personal Information, WHS, the planning system and Code of Conduct.
LGTI has adopted an innovative approach to developing and delivering training to meet each client’s needs. Many of the courses we provide are developed specifically for the specialised needs of council staff.
We have extensive experience in tailoring courses to the needs of industry and local government. , LGTI has worked with more than 1700 people undertaking qualifications from the Local Government, Public Services or Business Services Training Packages.
Some examples include:
- Local Government WHS and Customer Service induction programs
- Management and Leadership for all levels of Council
- EEO and Diversity training
- Safe Work Near Power Lines
- WHS Corporate/Induction Programs – some to all staff in a council
- Asbestos Awareness training
- Code of Conduct training for managers of councils
- Small plant training manuals and training course
- Conflict Resolution/Dealing with Difficult Customers
- Armed Holdup Prevention and Management training for frontline staff
Experience with Flexible Delivery
LGTI has developed and worked with a range of flexible delivery strategies to support students.
Support services provided have included:
- Classroom training in our purpose-built training centre as well as onsite at councils in the Hunter, Sydney and many regional areas across NSW
- Customised distance education and workplace based learning and assessment for Councils across Australia
- Online classrooms for workshops and tutorials
- Videoconference seminars to support Local Government and Public Services traineeships
- Small group and one to one coaching for specialised qualifications
- A focus on practical training and assessment activities for Outdoor worker groups with low literacy levels